I. Overview of Software
JMAG is a simulation software for electromechanical design and development, Many companies and universities have supported and used JMAG since 1983, JMAG can accurately capture and quickly evaluate complex physical phenomena inside of machines
JMAG is a comprehensive software suite for electromechanical equipment design and development. Powerful simulation and analysis technologies provide a new standard in performance and quality for product design. Many companies and universities have supported and used JMAG since 1983. JMAG can accurately capture and quickly evaluate complex physical phenomena inside of machines. Users inexperience and experienced in simulation analysis can easily perform the simple operations required to obtain precise results.
JMAG is developed by JSOL Corp. in Japan.
II. Overview Software functions
1. Geometry modeling
- Built-in Geometry editor.
- 2D and 3D modeling are supported.
- Geometric constraint features.
- Update Geometry retaining the condition setting.
CAPRI (for JMAG-Designer) Links JMAG-Designer to commercial CAD software. The following programs are supported.
- CATIA V5
- Pro/ENGINEER V5
- CAPRI (for JMAG-Designer) Links JMAG-Designer to commercial CAD software. The following programs are supported.
- JMAG-Communicator (for JMAG-Studio/JMAG-Designer) Links JMAG to SolidWorks.This option is included in the JMAG standard features.
IGES Translator : Loads 3D data in IGES format into JMAG
- CATIA Translator V4 : Loads data created by CATIA version 4 into JMAG
- CATIA Translator V5 : Loads data created by CATIA version 5 into JMAG
- Pro/E Reader : Loads data created by Pro/ENGINEER into JMAG
- *The function for loading CAD data in SAT file format is included in the standard versions except for some Student versions.
- DXF : Loads 2D data into JMAG
- IGES Translator : Loads 3D data in IGES format into JMAG
2. Material Modeling
- Material database (More than 700 data items from 12 manufactures.)
- Magnetic properties, electric properties, thermal properties, physical properties,loss
- Permanent magnet, soft magnetic material (steel sheet, SMC, soft ferrite,permalloy/permendur), conductors and insulation
- Custom material
- Electromagnetic steel sheet
- Lamination factor
- Stress dependent properties
- Core database for inductor
- Permanent magnet
- Magnetization patterns
- Skew magnetization
- Temperature dependent properties
- Magnetization analysis
- Demagnetization analysis
3. Mesh modeling
- Automatic mesh
- Mesh size control(vertices, edges, faces and parts)
- Automatic meshing for motion
- Slide mesh(rotation and translation)
- Patch mesh
- Layered mesh
- Skin depth mesh
JMAG-Express is a motor design tool.
Instantly calculates the motor performance as a calculator and provides design sheets to meet its requirements.
It enables to review all design changes accumulated in JMAG-Express at any time just as though you were referring to design memos. See more
Freely define geometry templates
- Templates for PMSMs, induction motors, brush motors, and universal motors have all been prepared.
- You can add geometries created in JMAG-Designer as templates.
- Use JMAG-Designer for brush motors and universal motors.
- Built-in database - You can search for model data by design parameters, output, and design date from a wealth of design proposals.
- JMAG-Express will recommend a geometry and drive conditions if you simply enter the minimum output expected of the motor.
- Of course, you can also narrow down the geometry and drive conditions by entering more information.
An extensive material database
- JMAG-Express has approximately 730 types of characteristics data built-in, just like JMAG-Designer.
- Precise material designs are completed by selecting the material name.
- Geometry, materials, windings, and drive conditions can be entered as parameters, which enables characteristics evaluations.
- Multiple designs can be easily compared.
- Running the analysis remotely - You can use an external calculation server.
Saving and reading setting parameter files
- You can save setting parameter files separately from geometry data.
- This should come in handy during system automations like linking with opimization softwares.
JMAG-Express Quick mode
- Evaluate basic motor properties by simply entering parameters - Just enter the geometry template, materials, winding, and drive conditions as parameters.
Evaluate torque, efficiency, loss, and inductance properties with a graph or numerically
- Revolution speed vs. torque properties, iron loss/copper loss properties, etc. are instantaneously displayed in a graph.
- Motor properties can be viewed in a machine constant table.
5. JMAG-Express Online
JMAG-Express Online is a parameter-based motor design support tool.
The Web version of JMAG-Express, which can compute basic motor characteristics in 1 sec, has finally arrived!
It is possible to obtain in an instant the startup voltage constant, torque constant, inductance characteristics, current vs torque characteristics, rotation speed vs torque characteristics, iron loss/copper loss characteristics, etc. merely by inputting a geometry template, materials, windings, and drive conditions.
Because JMAG-Express Online can be used with tablets and smartphones, you can design motors anytime, anywhere, on the go or at home. See more
- Extract motor characteristics in an instant
- Evaluate torque, efficiency, loss, and inductance characteristics with graphs and numerical values
- Define geometries with templates
- Geometry sizing
- Design a Motor in 5 Minutes
JMAG-RT generates a high fidelity plant model. Since the model is still numerically based, it can solve very quickly. And since it is based on Finite Element Model results, it will not sacrifice accuracy to achieve this calculation speed. The JMAG-RT plant model can be used in system level simulations to provide a more accurate representation of the electromagnetic device. The JMAG-RT block can be used in Hardware in the Loop Simulations (HILS) which connect a physical Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to a virtual motor. See more
- Using a virtual device model in the HILS means that it is possible to test the ECU while the device is still under construction. This can reduce the amount of test time necessary on the actual test bench.
- Conceal information about geometries or materials so it can be shared between business companies.
- The JMAG-RT model captures device performance that includes non-linear effects, saturation, and space harmonics. This high fidelity modelfs response is nearly identical to the actual devicefs response.
- The motor models used in system simulation utilize the conventional simple model (dq model) that generally disregards motor details. However, traditional dq models cannot describe modern-day high-performance motors.
- Although, FEA accurately simulates motor behavior unlike dq models, it requires a great deal of analysis time.
- JMAG-RT delivers a rapid system simulation accounting for motor characteristics “like finite element method”.
- Also, the level of detail can be increased by measuring actual machines, but doing so will reduce the value as Model Based Development. Being able to evaluate prior to obtaining an actual machine is highly significant from the perspective of simulation.